Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, has been named structural engineer of record for the new William Eckhardt Research Center (WERC) at The University of Chicago, a $215-million, 265,000-square-foot project located at the existing Research Institutes Building at 5630 – 5650 South Ellis Avenue.
• The existing Research Institutes Building, Low Temp Building and the Astronomy and Astrophysics Center will be demolished for the construction of this project.
• The project consists of five stories above grade with an enclosed mechanical space on the sixth floor, and two stories below grade. The roof over the mechanical space is approximately 120 feet above grade.
• The project is a cast-in-place concrete structure. The two-story, 45-foot deep basement will utilize slurry wall construction for the basement wall.
• Facilities will include laboratories, offices and conference rooms. The project also will house the new Institute of Molecular Engineering with a 9,200-square-foot clean room and an imaging suite below grade.
• The project extends to the face of the existing Bio-Psych Building and is approximately 18 feet from the existing Accelerator Building. A Level 2 bridge will provide a link between the new project and the Accelerator Building.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: