Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, provided U.S. Green Building Council Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) consulting and energy modeling support services for the new 22-story Shimizu Corporation Headquarters building in Tokyo. The new office tower, opened in August 2012, recently became the first LEED for New Construction 2.2 (NC) Gold certified office building in Japan.
• Shimizu Corporation, one of the largest general contractors in Japan, completed LEED certification as well as design and construction using in-house engineers and architects.
• Thornton Tomasetti provided LEED consulting and energy modeling to Shimizu’s in-house LEED certification project team and reviewed all LEED documentation prior to submission.
• Krifcon, Inc. served as sub-consultants to Thornton Tomasetti on the project.
• The building achieved 44 of the available 69 LEED points, including the maximum of 10 points for credit EAc1 – Optimize Energy Performance.
• The building, which opened in August 2012, is located in Tokyo’s central business district, and is directly connected to the Tokyo subway system. The state-of-the-art building emits only 38 kg/m2 of CO2 per year, 62 percent less on average than comparable buildings in Tokyo.
• The building’s air conditioning system makes use of radiant heat, with water tubes running under ceiling boards like capillary vessels. By controlling the temperature of the water circulating, the temperature of the ceiling board surface is controlled. This system can reduce CO2 emissions by 30 percent compared with conventional air conditioning systems.
• The lighting system makes use of energy-efficient technology. Light-emitting diode (LED) lighting is fully adopted and controlled by motion sensors. Energy used for lighting in the daytime is generated by photovoltaic (PV) panels integrated in the facade. The PV panels generate 84,000 kwh of power per year. Shimizu also installed window shades that allow sunlight into the offices. The shade angle automatically changes to follow the sun and optimize natural light.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: