Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that two of its mixed-use projects in Sweden – Knarrarnas and Lappstiftet – have achieved LEED Gold Certification. Thornton Tomasetti was the owner’s sustainability representative on the two projects, providing energy analysis and LEED consulting services. The two projects were completed in 2012.
• Knarrarnas, the 569,350-square-foot office building and hotel in Kista, Sweden, had construction costs estimated at $84 million.
• Lappstiftet, in Gothenburg, Sweden –- fondly called “The Lipstick” due to its shape and bright red roof – is a 442,160-square-foot commercial office building in a prime waterfront location. Construction costs were estimated at $80 million.
• Thornton Tomasetti facilitated the initial strategy meetings to align the project team toward supporting the development of sustainable facilities programs at the buildings.
• Both properties received LEED Gold Certification for Existing Buildings: Operations & Management (LEED EB: OM), based on results from tracked performance over the past 12 months.
• Knarrarnas and Lappstiftet earned EPA Energy Star scores of 95 and 96 out of 100, respectively, adding them to the ranks of the highest performing buildings in the world by United States standards.
Colin Schless, LEED AP BD+C, project director, Portland, Thornton Tomasetti
“It was a great experience being able to provide sustainability consulting for Knarrarnas and Lappstiftet in Sweden. We really enjoy opportunities to benchmark and optimize existing buildings operations, especially with buildings that run as efficiently as Vasakronan’s. Sweden is a world leader in energy-efficient building, and Vasakronan’s portfolio is exceptional, even for the country’s very high standards. The efforts wouldn’t have been possible without the leadership and vision of Anna Dennell, the company’s sustainability director, and the highly trained operations staff led by Lennart Lifvenhjelm.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: