Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Hall A Renovations in New Orleans, La., and the Basrah Sport City in Basrah Province, Iraq, two projects for which the firm provided structural engineering work, have each received a 2013 Structural Engineering Association of Kansas and Missouri (SEAKM) Award.
The New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Hall A Renovations took home the award in the “Other Structural Design Project” category, while Basrah Sport City was chosen for “New Buildings Over $100 Million.”
Basrah Sport City
• Thornton Tomasetti was selected to perform structural design and building skin services to Sport City, the multipurpose sports complex in Basrah Province, Iraq. The project, with anticipated completion in late 2013, includes two stadiums, four soccer fields, sports team housing, a man-made lake and fire station.
• The 2.5-million-gross-square-foot, multi-level main stadium will accommodate 65,000 spectators, 15 suites, 215 VIP seats, 1,344 west club seats and 3,108 east club seats. Amenities for performers and spectators such as VIP lounges and restaurants are also included.
• A curtain wall consisting of multi-directional curved elements envelops the exterior of the main stadium.
• A 270,000 square-foot, single-level secondary stadium adjacent to the main stadium will house 10,000 seats, spectator facilities, and team and performer accommodations.
New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Hall A Renovations
• Thornton Tomasetti was the structural engineer for the renovation and expansion of Exhibit Hall A, as well as the addition of a new grand entryway at the 1.1 million square-foot New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, La, completed in January 2013, in time to host the NFL Experience during Super Bowl XLVII. The firm used 3D Revit modeling throughout the design phase to identify potential conflicts and solutions.
• Thornton Tomasetti collaborated with the architect of record, Manning Architects/Eskew+Dumez+Ripple, A Joint Venture, and design architect LMN on the renovation.
• The first part of the project included the $50-million expansion and renovation of Exhibit Hall A, increasing it from 46,000 to 60,000 square feet for use as a state-of-the-art ballroom. The project also included the addition of 26,000 square feet of pre-function space.
• The second half of the project consisted of the construction of a new grand entryway in the northwest corner of the existing building. Thornton Tomasetti demolished the existing structure and designed a 45-foot curtain wall separating the indoor and outdoor spaces of the entrance.
• A new vertical circulation capacity including elevators and stairs, and a cantilevered roof structure were also added to the convention center.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: