Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that the Shanghai International Financial Center, a five-million-square-foot office complex in Shanghai, China, has been pre-certified LEED Gold.
Thornton Tomasetti, along with local Shanghai partner BEE, Inc., is providing LEED Core and Shell consulting services for the project, while JAHN is serving as the design architect and WSP Flack + Kurtz is the MEP engineer and energy consultant.
• Construction of the three Shanghai International Financial Center towers includes a combination of a highly efficient natural ventilation envelope, under-floor air distribution, ice storage cooling and photovoltaic panels. Unique strategies included large glass atriums that reduce the use of artificial light, roof gardens with water collection systems, a 130-m bridge, sub-metering, measurement and verification plans, and tenant sustainability guidelines.
• JAHN’s advanced façade design, with floor-to-ceiling glass, high-performance low-E coatings exterior mullions, automated shading system and semi-conditioned atriums allow considerable reduction in the towers’ air conditioning and heating loads.
• The buildings’ energy model shows an anticipated energy savings of up to 30% compared to a code building.
• The towers will use gray water from sinks and showers for irrigation at the plaza level and at other vegetated areas in the building, saving more than 50% of potable water compared to a typical office building.
• Thornton Tomasetti is also targeting the China Green Building Three Star certification, (the nation’s green building rating system that parallels LEED), while also pushing the project to additional levels of sustainability, such as a mandatory post-occupancy measurement and verification study of water and energy use. Thornton Tomasetti has been working with the local Three Star consultant, the Shanghai Research Institute of Building Science, to ensure all sustainability requirements are met.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: