Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, has announced that three of its executives have contributed a chapter to the recently released The Tall Buildings Reference Book, published by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH). Richard Tomasetti, P.E., NAE, HON.AIA, founding principal; Dennis Poon, P.E., vice chairman and CTBUH Board of Trustees member; and Leonard Joseph, P.E., S.E, principal, share their expertise in tall building design in the chapter “The Limits of Materials and Structure.”
Since 1969, The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat has been providing multi-disciplinary information on tall buildings and sustainable urban environments, helping to make the latest knowledge available to professionals.
• The Tall Buildings Reference Book addresses issues related to tall buildings from the procurement stage through the design and construction process, to new technologies and buildings’ contributions to the urban habitat.
• The chapter authored by Tomasetti, Poon and Joseph examines how the limits of material properties and structural systems affect tall building design and how future technology will allow us to reach new heights.
• A case study section highlights the latest tall buildings under construction today.
• The Tall Buildings Reference Book is a valuable resource for architects, engineers and built environment professionals, as it includes contributions from a team of more than 50 experts.
• Thornton Tomasetti has been the structural engineer for some of the world’s tallest buildings, including the one-kilometer Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia and 660-meter Ping An Tower in China, both under construction, as well as the 452-meter Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia and the 508-meter Taipei 101 in Taiwan.
Dennis Poon, P.E., vice chairman, Thornton Tomasetti
“Urban habitats are constantly changing, and as a result buildings are becoming taller and more complex. Richard, Len and I were pleased to have the opportunity to work with CTBUH and provide our colleagues and readers with an in-depth look into the science of tall building design. The Tall Buildings Reference Book is one of the most comprehensive sources on tall buildings.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: