Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We are a 100% employee-held organization of 1,200 engineers, architects, and sustainability and support professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. We focus on providing a diverse suite of integrated services and leading innovation in our industry to ensure the continued success of our clients.
Thornton Tomasetti, Inc. seeks talented applied science structural engineers for our Austin, TX office. Project work includes structural blast assessment and design, cause & origin accidental explosion investigation, litigation support, property loss consulting, fragment perforation mitigation, and structural retrofit design. Assignments may include participating in field forensics investigations, dynamic analysis of existing structures, large deformation dynamic finite element analysis, writing reports, and developing retrofit drawings and specifications for government and petrochemical occupied buildings.
• On-site inspection/investigation including surveying, photographing, sketching, and documenting of field observations
• Complete SDOF or FEA structural dynamic analysis of blast and fragment resistant buildings
• Develop repair or rehabilitation designs to strengthen existing concrete, steel, wood, masonry, and other structural systems to postulated impulsive hazardous threats
• Preparation of construction documents in 2D or within a BIM environment
• Provide expert witness support for litigation work
• Estimate blast loads from vapor cloud explosions and terrorist vehicle borne threats
• Estimate fragment velocities from accidents from high pressure high temperature gas and hydro oil services testing
• Master’s or PhD degree in structural engineering or related field with strong structural dynamics education.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• EIT license; PE license preferred
• Field experience with diverse building types preferred
• Excellent organization skills
• Ability and willingness to travel within the US and internationally (average 20%)
• Strong sense of teamwork and passion for technical excellence
• Seismic analysis and design education and/or experience
Follow these topics:Apply to this position
Thornton Tomasetti, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.