Thornton Tomasetti’s New York office seeks talented structural engineers with 4 – 10 years of experience in design and/or forensics for our growing Property Loss Consulting practice.
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We are a 100% employee-held organization of 1,200 engineers, architects, and sustainability and support professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Candidates should have an interest and experience in structural forensic investigation, litigation support, property condition assessments, damage assessments, structural repair, new design, and retrofit design. Assignments may include participating in field forensics investigations, analyzing existing structures, writing reports, and developing design/repair drawings and specifications.
• Provide direction, coordination, planning, and completion of engineering investigations and projects.
• Communicate with clients to understand project requirements.
• Plan and formulate engineering investigations and programs and organize project staff according to project requirements.
• Perform analysis and design of structural systems for all types of buildings and materials using various building codes.
• Manage project design and deliverables as was well as other design team members, supervise the work of engineers and modelers, and direct project staff in preparing contract documents such as drawings and specifications.
• Understand and track financial information related to the project.
• Build and develop new client relationships, and nurture existing client relationships.
• Undergraduate degree in structural engineering or related field; Master’s preferred
• PE and/or SE license
• 4-10 years of relevant experience
• Strong technical skills
• Strong working technical knowledge and experience in a variety of modern and historic building types
• Understanding of natural hazard risks and vulnerabilities
• Working knowledge of current industry software, including SAP2000, ETABS, RAM, Risa3-D, PCA Software, Revit, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, and Bluebeam
• Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills
• Excellent organization and project management skills
• Ability and willingness to travel within the US and internationally
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability; individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate in typical office environments, as well as construction sites.
Requirements may also include:
• Ability to attend meetings at various office, field and construction sites
• Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
• Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to perform work in temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors and unconditioned spaces
• Ability and willingness to safely work at heights
• Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
• Ability and willingness to work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations, including confined spaces
• Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of personal protective equipment
• Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
We offer an excellent benefits package including medical and dental insurance, a matching 401(k) plan, and a friendly, collaborative work environment.
Follow these topics:Apply to this position
Thornton Tomasetti, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.