Thornton Tomasetti, a premier international building design firm, seeks an experienced Mechanical Forensic Engineer to support our Midwest operations in our Kansas City, MO office. This individual will be expected to execute HVAC and plumbing system investigations of existing buildings and to design remedial repairs for deficient conditions. The investigations include failure cause and origin analysis, life cycle cost and feasibility analyses, property loss insurance and claims response, and litigation support. The candidate will coordinate with other project managers on interdisciplinary efforts and support marketing efforts.
The candidate should be experienced in the evaluation, design, and construction of HVAC and plumbing systems across Thornton Tomasetti’s broad vertical market spectrum. The candidate should also be well versed in building code analysis and interpretation. He or she will participate in, and travel to, our projects worldwide.
• Assist with damage assessment and cause and origin investigation related to insurance claims
• Prepare field notes, feasibility studies, cost analyses and specifications
• Work with a multi-discipline team of design professionals
• Complete technical and investigative reports to support forensic findings and prepare materials related to presentations
• Interface with clients and attend meetings
• Assist in preparation of proposals
• Assist with the growth and development of the mechanical engineering practice
• Market engineering services and develop business for mechanical engineering
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• 5 – 10 years of experience
• Professional Engineer’s License
• Proficiency in design
• Experience with mechanical investigation/design of buildings and HVAC systems, as well as interest in litigation support and insurance claims evaluations, is a plus
• Proficient in both manual and software assisted calculations; Sustainability/LEED experience is beneficial
• Project management experience
• Ability to travel to project sites
• Strong analytical skills
• Demonstrated ability to satisfy clients
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package includes matching 401k plan and company-paid medical and dental insurance.
Follow these topics:Apply to this position
Thornton Tomasetti, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.