Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, and Syska Hennessy Group, a global consulting, engineering and commissioning firm, announce that an expansion project at its Chicago, Illinois office has received LEED Commercial Interiors (CI) Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
Chicago was the first of Thornton Tomasetti’s offices to achieve LEED-CI Gold certification in 2009. Currently the firm has four LEED Certified offices with four others slated to receive certification this year. Thornton Tomasetti recently expanded into the entire 15th floor of 330 North Wabash Avenue. It shares that space with Syska Hennessy Group, giving both firms their first LEED Platinum office certification.
* Thornton Tomasetti performed both LEED consulting and enhanced commissioning services. Leading the project was Associate Rachel Michelin, R.A., LEED AP BD+C, who was also involved in the Chicago office’s 2009 LEED Gold certification, while Vice President Mike Dowdall, P.E. provided enhanced commissioning services.
* Syska Hennessy Group provided MEP engineering design, MEP-related LEED documentation, energy modeling, and fundamental commissioning services. Senior Principals Rob Bolin, P.E., LEED Fellow and Joe O’Sullivan, P.E., LEED AP helped drive the project, with key support from Syska team members Brandon Jewett, Paiboon Tanapipatkulchai, Andrew Krebs, Josh Fluecke, Danielle Schenkoske, Mark Mannarelli and Kris Baker.
* The project involved the fitout design of approximately 5,000 gsf of commercial office expansion, including spaces for 30 open office workstations, two executive offices, two teaming rooms, and a large conference room with a sophisticated audio visual system.
* LEED offers credits in six categories, with a total of 110 possible credits. The Chicago expansion project received 83, making it eligible for Platinum certification.
* Many of the credits were earned in the energy category. In keeping with Thornton Tomasetti’s corporate guidelines of using Energy Star appliances, 100 percent of all equipment in the Chicago office is Energy Star-rated. In addition, lighting design was optimized to result in a 28 percent reduction in power use. Occupancy and daylight controls further reduce electricity load, earning the office 27 out of 33 credits in the energy and atmosphere category.
* Base building restroom fixtures were upgraded with low-flow flush valves to reduce the floor plate’s water footprint by nearly 40 percent and address important energy-water efficiency nexus issues.
* All furniture meets Greenguard or ANSI/BIFMA testing standards for low chemical emissions, and the carpeting is CRI Green Label Plus certified. The adhesives, sealants, paints and coatings used in the office were low in volatile organic compounds.
* The Chicago office received recognition in the innovation and design category for creative strategies not addressed in the LEED rating system. The project was awarded credits for exemplary performance in community connectivity, access to public transportation, green education and having LEED Accredited Professionals involved in the process.
* Other members of the project team include: WEA Designs as the design architect; Bebart Architecture as the interior architect; Clune Construction as the contractor; and Riverview Realty Partners as the property managers.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti is a leader in engineering design, investigation and analysis serving clients worldwide on projects of all sizes and complexity. Through its 10 complementary practices, Thornton Tomasetti addresses the full life cycle of a structure. We have supported clients working in more than 50 countries, with projects that include the tallest buildings and longest spans to the restoration of prized historic properties. Thornton Tomasetti comprises more than 1,200 engineering, architecture, sustainability practitioners and support professionals who collaborate from offices across North America and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/ Lindsay Church/Alyson Grala
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: