Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that John Viise, S.E., P.E., CEng, MIStructE, LEED AP, has joined its Chicago office as a vice president in the Structural Engineering practice. Viise has more than 20 years of experience in the structural design of tall and supertall buildings as well as a variety of complex, large-scale projects in the U.S. and internationally.
• Prior to joining Thornton Tomasetti, Viise was an associate principal at Halvorson and Partners in Chicago. Before that he spent almost 14 years at Skidmore Owings & Merrill, where he worked on the design of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and the peer review of Thornton Tomasetti’s Petronas Twin Towers project in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
• Viise is a licensed structural engineer and professional engineer in Illinois.
• He is a North American representative on the IStructE Council and has worked with its Earthquake Engineering Advisory group. Viise is also a full voting member of the ASCE 41 Standards Committee, which deals with the development of performance based provisions for seismic design.
• Viise is currently serving as a co-chair of the CTBUH Seismic Working Group, coordinating the development of international recommendations for performance based seismic design of tall buildings.
• He holds a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Virginia Tech. An interest in earthquake and wind engineering led Viise to pursue a master’s degree in structural engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
John Viise, S.E., P.E., CEng, MIStructE, LEED AP, vice president, Chicago, Thornton Tomasetti
“I’ve been aware of Thornton Tomasetti and its presence in the structural engineering industry since I first joined the AEC community 23 years ago. One thing that makes the firm stand out is a management structure that encourages entrepreneurship, which in turn breeds innovation. This entrepreneurial attitude has led to the formation of completely new market sector service groups that strategically complement the primary structural services group.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We are a 100% employee-held organization of 1,200 engineers, architects, and sustainability and support professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. We focus on providing a diverse suite of integrated services and leading innovation in our industry to ensure the continued success of our clients.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church/Tom Nolan
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: