Structural design services for the renovation of an existing 665,000-square-foot structure and the addition of 134,000 square feet of new office space in the 1917 building’s courtyards. The modernization will replace outdated building systems, modify the structure to comply with modern ADA regulations and improve its environmental performance. The project includes standards for GSA secure facilities. The infill construction has been designed for progressive collapse, while both infill space and exiting structure will incorporate blast-mitigation windows.
In 2009, the renovation design was revised to incorporate additional sustainability features to meet the criteria for LEED Gold certification, including structural support for photovoltaic roof panels and a wastewater retention system.
Phase one construction, which includes the renovation of most of the existing building and the new construction in one courtyard, began in 2010. Phase two will proceed upon availability of funding.