Pratt Institute Main Building in Brooklyn. Left image courtesy Wikipedia.
Following a sixth-floor fire in the winter of 2013, Thornton Tomasetti was retained to assess and stabilize the building and to restore extensive damage to the interior and the exterior of the campus’ Main Building. The project included masonry conservation to reverse the carbon staining that resulted from the fire, repairs to strengthen the existing brick walls, reconstruction of the upper story heavy-timber structure and design for a new green roof. Construction was completed in the summer of 2014.
The Romanesque Revival edifice was the work of the noted New York architectural firm of Lamb and Rich. It was the first structure erected for the Institute founded by fossil oil pioneer Charles Platt to provide an education in design and engineering for the working men and women. It was completed in 1887. The Main Building houses administrative offices, studios and classrooms. It is designated as a New York City Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Pratt Institute Historic District.
The project team included Helpern Architects for the interior renovation and window replacement, CFS Engineering for the MEP repair and upgrade, ICR as masonry conservators and CD Management Group as Owner’s Representative.
Follow these topics: