Thornton Tomasetti provided structural design for a seven-year modernization of the U.S. Treasury Department’s historic headquarters building. Originally constructed in 1869, the building still contained basic infrastructure not updated since the early 1900s and had also suffered from fire 1996. The project was performed in four phases to minimize disruption to Treasury staff.
Our scope consisted of structural evaluation, design, full-scale load testing, and construction administration to support office space enhancements, design of new stairs and egresses to meet fire/life safety requirements, MEP upgrades that included replacement of the chiller and cooling tower, installation of new elevators, and restoration of architecturally and historically significant aspects of the building. The project also includes the removal of columns and design of full-perimeter underpinning to accommodate an electrical switchgear and transformer room.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Owner: U.S. Department of the Treasury
Architect: Shalom Baranes Associates
Area: 500,000 sf
Completion Date: 2005