Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that its Denver, Colorado office has achieved LEED Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). The Denver office is the firm’s second U.S. location to seek LEED for Commercial Interiors (CI) status since the firm instituted a policy to seek LEED certification for all sizeable office fit-outs. Denver is the third Thornton Tomasetti office to achieve LEED CI Gold certification, after the Chicago, Ill. and Philadelphia, Pa. offices.
• The firm’s office at 1400 Wewatta Street in Denver is housed in a LEED Core and Shell certified building.
• Daylight and occupancy sensors were installed to reduce an already low lighting load. Lighting power at the office has been reduced nearly 32 percent from code, and a reduced mercury count can be found in the office’s lamps.
• All furniture, paints, flooring and finishes are made from recycled, nontoxic and low-emitting materials, which improve the air quality of the office and contribute to a healthful environment.
• During construction 74 percent of the waste was diverted, and 18 percent of materials used contained recycled content.
• All office equipment is Energy Star rated, and high-efficiency fixtures reduce water usage nearly 32 percent from code.
• In collaboration with Gensler, the interior architect, Thornton Tomasetti acted as its own LEED consultant and commissioning agent, utilizing the expertise of its Sustainability practice and MEP team.
Stan Welton, P.E., S.E., MLSE, LEED AP, principal and Denver office leader, Denver, Thornton Tomasetti
“We are proud to continue the transformation of the firm’s offices into strong examples of corporate sustainability, and to become Thornton Tomasetti’s first office in the West/Mountain States to achieve LEED Gold certification. It is a great testament to our capabilities as sustainability consultants, and we hope to serve as a role model for other companies looking to achieve the same status.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church/Tom Nolan
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: