Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces the launch of TTWiiN, a privately held company that develops and commercializes new technologies. The new company is the first of its kind in the AEC industry.
TTWiiN — the name is a play on “Thornton Tomasetti Weidlinger Innovation accelerator” — was a key strategic initiative sparked by the merger of Thornton Tomasetti and Weidlinger Associates in September 2015.
• TTWiiN will initially feature a collection of six products in various stages of development that come from legacy projects at Applied Science, Thornton Tomasetti CORE studio and other R&D efforts across the firm.
• Each year, TTWiiN will select additional products from the firm’s CORE R&D program, its technology incubator. To be considered for migration over to TTWiiN, they need to be products and tools that will benefit from development outside of Thornton Tomasetti and have special investment or organizational needs.
• The initial six products include:
• PZFlex, a finite-element simulation software package for the design and development of piezoelectric and ultrasonic devices, such as medical imaging transducers.
• WAimat Suite, a trio of interrelated software tools that facilitate advanced material modeling, bringing a new functionality to the most widely used finite-element programs.
• Pumpkin Mounts, new shock-and-vibration insolation mount technology with applications in the defense, industrial and transportation sectors.
• Spectacles Suite includes a web application that allows users to easily view and share 3D and building information models on the web and a collaborative virtual reality platform.
• Vibration Solutions, a suite of products that mitigate structural vibrations for tall buildings, long-span structures and bridges.
• Fuel-Injection Technology, an early-stage, state-of-the-art fuel injector accuracy technology that allows precise control of fuel in the system during each cycle, resulting in improved efficiency and power.
• The new company is overseen by a board of managers, elected by company shareholders. Additionally, an AEC technology advisory firm will assist with the initial start-up phase.
Thomas Z. Scarangello, P.E., Chairman and CEO, Thornton Tomasetti
“TTWiiN gives us a platform to drive innovation in our industry and beyond. We are taking technologies that are developed in our CORE R&D incubator and tested in real-world scenarios, then providing the necessary support and leadership to accelerate them to the next level.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti is a leader in engineering design, investigation and analysis serving clients worldwide on projects of all sizes and complexity. Through its 10 complementary practices, Thornton Tomasetti addresses the full life cycle of a structure. We have supported clients working in more than 50 countries, with projects that include the tallest buildings and longest spans to the restoration of prized historic properties. Thornton Tomasetti comprises more than 1,200 engineering, architecture, sustainability and support professionals who collaborate from offices across North America and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/ Lindsay Church/Alyson Grala
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: