Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that three staff members have been named to Engineering-News Record’s (ENR) Top 20 Under 40 list, which recognizes outstanding contributions of AEC professionals under the age of 40. The three – Elisabeth Malsch, Cristina Martinez and Brian Volpe – were among 140 professionals honored nationally in seven U.S. regions.
The nominees were rated by a panel of independent judges, combining criteria such as professional excellence and leadership in their industry, service to their professions and communities, and honors and awards earned. Thornton Tomasetti’s candidates were nominated by their office principals.
Thornton Tomasetti Honorees:
Elisabeth Malsch, associate, New York
• 34-year-old Malsch is a leader of advanced analytics at Thornton Tomasetti, and has been at the firm for six years. She uses BIM and analysis software to simulate the behavior of structures in order to diagnose the underlying mechanism behind various structural failures and damage.
• The collapse of the I-35 W Bridge in Minneapolis, Minn. had the most influence on Ms. Malsch’s career. A constant innovator, she almost singlehandedly created the firm’s forensic information modeling (FIM) approach while working on that project. FIM is an interactive computer graphic methodology that the firm uses to organize, visualize and analyze data related to forensic investigation projects. Thanks to her resourcefulness and support, FIM has expanded within the firm and is now almost a de facto component of Thornton Tomasetti’s high-profile investigations.
• A registered professional engineer in New York, Ms. Malsch serves as an adjunct professor at Columbia University. She has mentored at The Urban Assembly Institute of Math & Science for Young Women in Brooklyn, N. Y.
• Ms. Malsch has a Doctorate, Master of Philosophy, Master of Science and a Bachelor of Science degree, all in civil engineering and engineering mechanics, from Columbia University.
Cristina Martinez, senior associate, New York
• Ms. Martinez joined Thornton Tomasetti’s Newark office in 1998 and over the years has transitioned from design to marketing to business development roles. Her great depth of background allows her to be a successful liaison between project staff and clients.
• She has structural engineering experience in the analysis and design of complex high-rise commercial structures as well as the renovation of existing historical buildings. Ms. Martinez has worked on 383 Madison Avenue, Times Square Tower and the redevelopment of the retail concourse at Rockefeller Center.
• After expressing interest in the business side of the firm, Ms. Martinez transitioned into the marketing department at Thornton Tomasetti and has helped the company to develop corporate marketing strategies. She is now a senior associate in a business development role and continuously searches for opportunities to increase productivity.
• Ms. Martinez is one of the youngest board members of the ACE Mentor Program of New Jersey and was elected the second president in the program’s 10-year history. She is also a founding representative of the program’s National Affiliates Council.
• Ms. Martinez attended Stevens Institute of Technology, where she focused on structural engineering. She graduated with bachelor’s and master’s degrees in engineering.
Brian Volpe, vice president, Chicago
• Mr. Volpe, a 37-year-old Michigan native, joined the firm in 2008 and plays an integral part in the growth of the Construction Support Services practice firm-wide. He is a licensed professional engineer in Iowa, Michigan and Ohio, and a licensed structural engineer in Illinois.
• With 15 years of industry experience, Mr. Volpe is skilled in structural design, project management, advanced project delivery, integrated modeling of steel connections and construction engineering. He has managed projects from conception to completion in the aviation, commercial, healthcare, industrial, mixed-use and sports sectors.
• Mr. Volpe designed the 130-foot, steel-tube tiara that tops off the Great American Tower at Queen City Square in Cincinnati, Ohio, a project which received the 2011 Structural Engineers Association of Illinois Award of Merit.
• He has also worked on Ford Field in Detroit, Mich., where, as an expert in erection engineering, he constructed the 700- x 640-foot long-span roof system and two 2,700-ton roof lifts. Mr. Volpe credits this project as an influence on his professional development.
• Mr. Volpe holds a bachelor’s of science degree in architecture and civil engineering from Lawrence Technological University.
Tom Scarangello, P.E., chairman and CEO, Thornton Tomasetti
“Thornton Tomasetti is pleased to announce that three of our professionals have been chosen for ENR’s Top 20 Under 40 list. These awards are a testament to the hard work and creativity Elisabeth, Cristina and Brian bring to their careers each day. I know that everyone at the firm is proud of their colleagues’ accomplishments, which enhance the reputation of our firm.”
Elisabeth Malsch, associate, New York, Thornton Tomasetti
“Our firm does the kind of work where at any moment, people can be sent out into the field. As a new mother, I appreciate the flexibility of the team, as they allow you to maintain a balance between your work and personal life. It was a surprise to find out I was nominated – with so much going on at home, it was nice to have exciting things happening professionally as well.”
Cristina Martinez, senior associate, New York, Thornton Tomasetti
“The fact that I have transitioned from the consulting side to the business side of the firm has given me the chance to learn more about Thornton Tomasetti and its magnificent impact on the engineering and business world. I’m glad I was able to find diverse growth opportunities within the firm, to stay on and continue to contribute to the company’s success.”
Brian Volpe, vice president, Chicago, Thornton Tomasetti
“My hope for the younger generations of engineers is that they learn to take great pride in their work and find much satisfaction in their careers. Always ask questions and do something you love. I’ve been extremely lucky to find that Thornton Tomasetti is able to satiate my passion for design and construction.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: