Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that 122 Bay State Road, a home for the new administrative offices of Boston University, has received LEED Gold certification. Thornton Tomasetti provided LEED consulting services for the renovation project on the University’s main campus in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston, Mass.
Thornton Tomasetti was hired by McDougal Architects to provide LEED consulting. In this role, Fore Solutions provided sustainability strategy recommendations to the design team, performed energy modeling, tracked compliance with LEED throughout design and construction, and reviewed and submitted LEED documentation to the Green Building Certification Institute.
• The property at 122 Bay State Road was a dilapidated brownstone building with holes in the roof and walls that shared walls with other BU residential and office spaces. The building was fully renovated to create a new home for the University’s finance offices. The adaptive re-use of the building was a sustainable approach to renovation, where 88% of the structure was reused.
• A waste management plan devised by the team recycled 83% of construction waste.
• A reflective membrane roof implemented at 122 Bay State Road minimizes the urban heat island effect and reduces cooling energy used at the property.
• The building includes many water saving features such as high efficiency faucets and other fixtures, all contributing to a 43% potable water savings.
• A well-insulated, air-tight building enclosure was used in tandem with energy efficient lighting (with occupancy sensors) and heating systems, resulting in more than a 26% energy savings compared to a code building.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: