Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that the California Polytechnic State University Recreation Center has achieved LEED Gold certification. Simon & Associates, which was acquired by Thornton Tomasetti in 2012, was the sustainability consultant and provided LEED consulting for the expansion and remodeling project at the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo campus on California’s Central Coast.
Simon & Associates was hired by Cal Poly to facilitate sustainable design workshops, offer technical advice, track LEED compliance, assist the contractor with LEED documentation throughout the design and construction process, and review and submit LEED documentation to the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).
• The $57.5-million Cal Poly Recreation Center expansion and remodeling project resulted in a revitalized facility on 8.19 acres totaling 165,717 square feet, with more than 100,000 square feet of new construction and 26,294 square feet of remodeled space, while leaving 39,147 square feet of the existing structure still intact.
• Simon & Associates conducted a sustainability charrette involving students, faculty, staff and the project team members to identify sustainability goals and LEED targets. They provided technical advice throughout the process and communicated with the USGBC, as well as conducted job site visits, navigated the LEED online system and interfaced directly with Cal Poly and architect Cannon Design.
• The recreation center incorporates a large curtain wall that reduces the need for artificial light and connects users with the outdoor environment. Insulated low-e glazing, fritted glass and vertical and horizontal sunshades reduce solar gain. Low-wattage florescent gymnasium lighting, daylight sensors and programmable controls also reduce electric energy consumption.
• In addition, more than 95% of the construction waste was diverted from landfills and recycled, while low-flow fixtures reduced water usage to more than 40% below the area baseline.
• Estimated annual energy cost savings at the recreation center amount to $44,296 for electrical and $20,790 for gas.
• Cal Poly and the California State Universities mandate all new facilities be minimally certified as Silver Rated Level by the USGBC.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: