Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that the Media & Learning Center (MLC) at DeAnza College has achieved LEED Platinum certification. Simon & Associates, the green building consulting firm acquired by Thornton Tomasetti in 2013, was the Sustainability Consultant and provided LEED Consulting for the project in Cupertino, Calif.
Simon & Associates was hired by Ratcliff Architects to offer sustainable design recommendations to the design team, track compliance with LEED strategies throughout design and construction, and review and submit LEED documentation to the Green Building Certification Institute.
• The Media & Learning Center houses the college’s offices for Distance Learning, Staff & Organizational Development, and the Technology Resources Group, including its broadcast media film and TV studio.
• The project recently received the Citation Award for Energy + Sustainability – one of two presented for sustainability – from the AIA San Francisco Chapter.
• The building’s orientation and layout are leveraged for maximum energy efficiency and passive solar benefits. The property uses rooftop photovoltaic panels for electrical generation and rooftop solar hot water panels.
• By harnessing passive design opportunities, 93% of regularly occupied space has access to natural daylight, the project easily earned the daylighting credit which is achieved by only 36% of LEED v2.2 projects.
• The building uses 71 percent less energy than the regional standard for educational buildings – resulting in annual savings of $60,000.
• Equally impressive with the energy cost savings, 100% of the LEED Indoor Environmental Quality credit points were earned in this project.
• Other sustainable features in the MLC include buoyancy driven ventilation, radiant heating in the lobby’s floor, high-performance skylights, and water conservation/water runoff control.
Joel Stout, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, O+M, ID+C, senior associate, San Francisco, Thornton Tomasetti
“We were pleased to provide green building consulting for the recently constructed home to the Media & Learning Center at DeAnza College, which has earned LEED Platinum Certification. We take great pride in our contribution to the success and international recognition of such a phenomenal education building created for the students and faculty at DeAnza College.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: