Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that Pearl Place II, a 55,978 square-foot, 54-unit apartment complex at 184 Pearl Street in Portland, Maine, has achieved LEED Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. Pearl II is the second of two phases of an affordable housing development in the Bayside neighborhood of Portland. Construction was completed in 2013.
Thornton Tomasetti was hired by Avesta Housing as the LEED for Homes Provider and sustainability consultant on the project. Wright-Ryan Construction was the contractor on the project; PDT Architects served as the architect; and Horizon Residential Energy Services provided EnergyStar and Green Rater Services.
Avesta Housing is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that promotes and provides housing opportunities in Southern Maine for residents in need.
• Thornton Tomasetti used energy modeling to analyze window glazing types, insulation systems, a heat recovery ventilation system and solar hot water systems.
• Pearl Place II was built using efficient panelized construction techniques that saved time, minimized waste, improved quality, and reduced costs.
• Energy efficient improvements such as lighting fixtures and HVAC systems led to a 21 percent reduction in energy costs as compared with the ASHRAE 90.1-2007 requirements.
• Eighty-five percent of construction debris was diverted from landfills and incineration plants. Construction debris was separated on-site and then sent to local recycling centers.
• Pearl Place II’s central location and bicycle storage area minimize the need for resident automobile use. The project is within walking distance to three major grocery stores, the Portland Public Library, post office, other community resources, Deering Oaks, Kennedy and Lincoln parks, and the city’s vibrant downtown areas.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: