Joseph Burns, S.E., P.E., CEng, RIBA, LEED AP, a managing principal in Thornton Tomasetti’s Chicago, Ill. office, and Kyle Krall, P.E., a senior principal in the firm’s London office, have been selected to represent the international engineering firm on U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker’s trade mission to the Middle East from March 8-14.
• The trade mission is specifically focused on export opportunities for U.S. businesses in the infrastructure sector, and maintaining the U.S.’s commitment to a sustained economic partnership in the Gulf region.
• The mission will specifically focus on areas such as project management and engineering (including construction, architecture and design), renewable energy (solar, wind, waste-to-energy), smart grid and energy efficiency, and environmental technologies (including water/wastewater, air pollution control and waste management). The delegation will visit the United Arab Emirates, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and Qatar. Thornton Tomasetti was one of 21 companies selected from more than 80 candidate firms.
• Thornton Tomasetti has served as the structural engineer for a number of projects in the Middle East, including several in the King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; the Qatar National Convention Center and an airport maintenance hangar and cargo warehouse at New Doha International Airport in Doha, Qatar; and Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
• Burns has more than 30 years of experience designing structures and investigating and renovating existing buildings. He specializes in the design of complex structural systems, including earthquake engineering and dynamic analysis.
• As one of the founders of Thornton Tomasetti’s Abu Dhabi and Dubai offices, Krall oversees the firm’s work in the Middle East and leads its Forensics and Renewal practices in the region. He has more than 27 years of structural engineering experience and has worked on the Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium in Al Ain, UAE and the Sowwah Square peer review and site observation in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: