Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, has been recognized by the Chicago Building Congress (CBC) and Construction Owners Association of America (COAA) with a 2014 CBC/COAA Owners’ Choice Award for its work on the DePaul University Theatre School in Chicago, Ill. The award was presented at the CBC’s recent Merit Award gala. Thornton Tomasetti served as the structural engineer, and Pelli Clarke Pelli and Cannon Design were the architects on the project, which was completed in 2013.
The Chicago Building Congress’ Merit Award Program has celebrated achievements in the building industry since 1956. A panel of 40 CBC member volunteers judged the projects, submitted across nine categories, for safety record, impact on the community, quality of construction, and distinctive, functional or innovative design.
• Thornton Tomasetti provided structural services for the five-story, 169,000 square-foot, steel and reinforced concrete building, which is owned by DePaul University.
• The DePaul University Theatre School houses a 250-seat thrust theatre, a 100-seat flexible theatre, rehearsal, scenery and costume space, classrooms, and administrative offices. Outdoor terraces on the upper floors contribute to the building’s LEED Gold certification.
• The design team faced various challenges including a small site space and strict zoning laws in the historic Lincoln Park neighborhood.
• The final design includes a gradual stepping out of the higher floors from the building’s base at the northeast corner, increasing the floor space at each level.
• Support for the design feature is provided by cantilevers that, with each step of the terrace, extend in length beyond the cantilever at the floor below.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: