Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, has been recognized by the Structural Engineering Association of Illinois (SEAOI) and New York (SEAoNY) with four 2014 Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards for its work in Illinois, South Korea and New York City. The annual SEAOI and SEAoNY design competitions recognize excellence in structural engineering.
Chicago Award Winners
• The University of Chicago Becker Friedman Institute for Research in Economics won a SEAOI award for “Best Renovation/Retrofit.” Thornton Tomasetti provided structural engineering for the campus expansion and adaptive reuse of the former Chicago Theological Seminary, composed of several buildings constructed during the 1920s.
• The existing structures required a complete rehabilitation to accommodate classrooms, offices, conference and computing facilities, common areas, and the addition of underground classroom space, a state-of-the-art heating/cooling system, and mechanical room. Each of these spaces is supported on a mat foundation and enclosed by concrete construction to redistribute forces.
• “The Federation of Korean Industries (FKI) Headquarters won an award for “Best International Project over $150 million.” Thornton Tomasetti provided structural design and building skin services for the 244-meter, 50-story commercial tower and adjacent four-story glass and steel FKI Headquarters.
• The 170,104 SF tower’s structural system consists of a reinforced concrete core with steel outrigger and perimeter belt trusses. The structure features a furrowed exterior wall that integrates vision, spandrel and photovoltaic panels.
New York Award Winners
• The New York Central Building at 230 Park Avenue received the SEAoNY award for “Forensic Analysis, Renovation, Retrofit or Rehabilitation of Structures.” Thornton Tomasetti investigated the façade conditions, specified repairs and administered repair construction for the 34-story, landmark property, which was originally constructed in 1929.
• The Thornton Tomasetti team also restored the statuary and clock above the building’s 46th Street entrance.
• The Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. won the SEAoNY award in the “New Building” category. Thornton Tomasetti provided structural design services, including connection design, detailing and delivering a complete Tekla model, as well as construction support services for the project’s steel erector.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: