Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, has announced that the San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) headquarters at 1455 Market Street has achieved LEED Platinum certification, the highest rating awarded by the US Green Building Council. Thornton Tomasetti provided sustainability consulting to SF Environment for a tenant fit-out of new office space.
• The San Francisco Department of the Environment creates policies and programs that promote social equity, protect human health, and lead the way toward a sustainable future. This is San Francisco’s first municipal tenant improvement project certified as LEED Platinum for Commercial Interiors.
• The 20,000-square-foot office space includes an open seating plan around the perimeter with private offices and common areas including conference rooms and a break room located in the center. Also in the core are the main reception area and a multipurpose EcoCenter with exhibits highlighting the department’s work, sustainable features of the new office and a space to host events.
• Thornton Tomasetti worked closely with the building owner and project team to provide technical guidance. It facilitated and managed the LEED Online documentation effort, reviewed product submittals and RFIs and managed quality assurance and control procedures related to the certification process.
• The project employs sustainability strategies such as the incorporation of 37 percent recycled materials and 70 percent FSC-certified wood. In addition, 98 percent of the project’s construction waste was diverted from landfills, and 100 percent of the office equipment is EnergyStar rated.
• The project achieved a 30 percent reduction in lighting power and daylight responsive controls are installed in all regularly occupied spaces within 15 feet of windows. Occupancy sensors control 75 percent of the lighting. Throughout construction, an indoor air quality management plan was closely followed to ensure that work spaces and HVAC ducts remained free of construction dust and debris.
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 800-person organization of engineers, architects and other professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: