Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that Derek A. Wassink, P.E., R.A., LEED AP, has joined its Fort Lauderdale, Florida, office as a vice president in the Structural Engineering practice. Wassink has more than 25 years of experience in structural design, project management and coordination, as well as business development. Having spent the majority of his career in Florida, Wassink will use his local knowledge to showcase the Fort Lauderdale office’s capabilities and strengths.
• Prior to joining Thornton Tomasetti, Wassink was president of the structural engineering group at TRC Worldwide Engineering, Inc. in Fort Lauderdale. He was responsible for leading and managing the firm’s largest division across the U.S. and in India.
• Wassink’s structural experience spans all sectors, including office, residential, healthcare, education, hospitality, recreation and parking. He has worked on the 950,000-square-foot, 18-story Margaritaville Beach Resort in Hollywood Beach, Florida, the Lucky Street parking garage at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida, and the Tradition Medical Center in Port St. Lucie, Florida.
• Wassink is a licensed professional engineer in Pennsylvania and Florida; a licensed architect in New York; a licensed special inspector in Florida; and a structures specialist with FEMA’s Urban Search and Rescue Florida Task Force One.
• Wassink holds a bachelor’s degree in architecture and engineering from Princeton University, and a master’s degree in structural engineering from Villanova University.
• He is an adjunct faculty member at Florida International University, and a member of the National Council of Structural Engineers Association, Florida Structural Engineers Association and the Leadership Broward Foundation. In his free time Wassink plays competitive croquet, and has won tournaments in Palm Beach, the Hamptons, New York, and the West Indies.
Matthew Olender, vice president and Fort Lauderdale office leader, Thornton Tomasetti
“During this time of rapid growth for our Florida office, Derek will be a strong asset in the areas of business development, design diversification, quality control and technical staff training. We’re very excited to have him join our team.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We fulfill the needs of our clients at every stage in the building life cycle through seven integrated practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is an 850-person organization of engineering, architecture, sustainability and support professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Lindsay Church/Tom Nolan
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: