Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, announces that Dr. Mahesh Kailasam has joined its Applied Science practice as a vice president and director of the Cupertino, California, office. Mahesh has 20 years of experience in the deployment of modeling and analysis techniques for solving demanding problems in life science, high-tech, energy and other industries.
• Leveraging Thornton Tomasetti’s considerable expertise in modeling and simulation, Dr. Kailasam will foster new partnerships with leaders in the life science and high-tech sectors in the San Francisco Bay area and beyond, and lead the expansion of the Applied Science practice in these fields.
• In the first of such partnerships, Thornton Tomasetti announces its membership in the Living Heart Project, a transformational initiative that uses multiphysics simulations of the human heart to improve cardiac care. Dr. Kailasam will direct the Applied Science practice’s contributions to the project, working alongside leading medical device companies, researchers, clinicians and regulatory agencies.
• Dr. Kailasam previously held numerous roles at Dassault Systèmes, the software company behind the Living Heart Project. Most recently, he led the effort to accelerate the adoption of virtual human modeling and simulation to improve medical device development and clinical diagnosis processes.
• During his career, Dr. Kailasam established partnerships with major oil and gas companies, which resulted in new simulation tools and methods for safer and more efficient exploration and production, such as hydraulic fracturing. He worked closely with key high-tech companies to establish modeling and simulation-based approaches for drop testing and display protection, methods that are now widely used in the industry. He was also involved with R&D and product management of Abaqus (finite element analysis), and has experience in strategic planning, acquisitions and industry diversification.
• Dr. Kailasam has master’s and doctorate degrees in mechanical engineering and applied mechanics from the University of Pennsylvania and a bachelor of technology degree in mechanical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
Najib Abboud, Ph.D., P.E., senior principal and Applied Science practice leader
“We are excited about this new phase in the evolution of the Applied Science practice’s 45-year presence in Silicon Valley. As Mahesh continues to develop collaborative relationships in the life science and high-tech industries, it will strengthen Thornton Tomasetti’s reputation as consultant of choice for leading global companies seeking to solve pressing challenges facing their industries.”
Mahesh Kailasam, Ph.D., vice president, Applied Science
“I look forward to the challenges of expanding and diversifying the Applied Science practice with the goal of positioning Thornton Tomasetti as a key player in accelerating the innovation taking place in life science and high-tech industries.”
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti is a leader in engineering design, investigation and analysis serving clients worldwide on projects of all sizes and complexity. Through its 10 complementary practices, Thornton Tomasetti addresses the full life cycle of a structure. We have supported clients working in more than 50 countries, with projects that include the tallest buildings and longest spans to the restoration of prized historic properties. Thornton Tomasetti comprises more than 1,200 engineering, architecture, sustainability practitioners and support professionals who collaborate from offices across North America and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard / Lindsay Church
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com
Follow these topics: