The Buckingham - a continuing care retirement community - brings additional services and housing to the expanding senior population in Houston. The development includes a 12-story independent living tower, a 70,000-square-foot skilled nursing building above a 45,000-square-foot underground parking garage and a 22,000-square-foot memory care facility.
We provided structural design services to D2 Architecture for the facility, which opened in 2018.
- The project included 330,000 square feet of new construction and 106,000 square feet of existing building renovation.
- The residential tower is supported by concrete columns, concrete post tensioned floors and concrete shear walls.
- Both the skilled nursing building and memory care facility contain metal composite decks supported by light gage load bearing walls.
- The skilled nursing building sits on a concrete post tensioned floor supported by concrete columns on shallow isolated spread footings.
- The multiple structural systems added complexity to the project requiring our team to provide more details and collaborate closely with the architect and design team.