The OSF St. Francis Medical Center, Children’s Hospital of Illinois, Milestone Project is designed to promote a caring, healing environment for pediatric and adult services, while enhancing access and creating a patient-centric healthcare experience. The structure is a seven-story, 440,000-square-foot, 127-bed hospital addition connected to the existing Gerlach Building.
- The addition houses three emergency departments, a main lobby and new front entrance, surgery and interventional procedures laboratories, a general pediatrics unit and an adult cardiac unit.
- Two helipads for patient transport are located above the mechanical roof.
- The structural system consists of steel floor framing supported on steel columns to allow for large bay sizes and future flexibility.
- Wind and earthquake loads are resisted by a braced-core and steel moment frames.
- The building is supported on spread footings with a mat foundation utilized at the braced core.