The new athletic center for Colby College replaced existing facilities with a 350,000-foot facility that includes an indoor track-and-field competition center, aquatic center, squash center, gymnasium, hockey arena, fitness center and studios as well as training rooms and coaching suites. In addition to three new relocated fields, the center also houses Maine's only Olympic-sized pool and New England's only Myrtha pool.
- As the owner’s sustainability consultant, Thornton Tomasetti managed the SITES and LEED documentation process and offered sustainability strategy recommendations to the design team, tracked compliance with LEED and SITES throughout design and construction and reviewed and submitted LEED and SITES documentation to the Green Building Certification Institute.
- Sustainability features include:
- Native plantings that mimic the natural landscape, provide habitat, and eliminate irrigation
- Onsite rainwater management amenities, such as bioswales and meadowed buffers
- 52% reduction in energy usage against a code building
- 50% reduction in indoor potable water use
- An open-air atrium will provide outdoor light throughout the complex.