Located on a tight challenging site on their west campus, the new 80,000-square-foot combined use building at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Ohio provides a large conference center that services the hospital campus and a space to house their data center. The conference center occupies the basement and first two levels and the data center occupies levels 3 and 4 and the roof. A cantilevered communicating staircase links the mezzanine and second level.
We provided structural design services to Gensler for the four story facility, which opened in 2021.
- The facility has access to the campus tunnel and neighboring parking garage.
- The façade on the east side of the building cascades at levels 3 and 4, creating numerous column transfers along the height of the building.
- A steel entry canopy consisting of tapered members is provided on the east and south sides of the building.
- Our team was able to accommodate large open spaces for the conference rooms utilizing two story-deep trusses on level 3 to transfer the data center columns to the conference center column grid below.
- A future parking garage, existing nearby active building, and underground utilities created zero lot lines on all sides of the job site. Deep foundations were utilized to address the site challenges.