ACEC New York, Platinum Award, 2013
Haeundae Doosan We've the Zenith is built on the waterfront in Busan, South Korea’s second largest city. At 80 stories, Tower A is the tallest of three towers that form the centerpiece of a 572,534-square-meter development, which includes 1,788 residential units, a retail podium and six basement levels for retail, parking and mechanical facilities.
We provided structural design services to DeStefano + Partners, Ltd. for the complex, which was completed in 2011.
- We designed the structures to withstand winds of 90 miles per hour and gusts to 105 miles per hour.
- We designed Tower A with a wide stance at an aspect ratio of nearly 1:7 to improve the stability and comfort for occupants.
- We also designed an efficient core wall, which is butterfly-shaped in cross section, to maximize building stiffness and minimize the amount of material for Tower A.
- The towers present a smooth rounded face to the wind, making them aerodynamic to reduce wind forces.
- A structural health monitoring system measures the building’s condition by tacking real-time wind velocity and deflection, building acceleration and ground motions. The structural performance, serviceability and safety are evaluated based on the collected data.