Roy and Diana Vagelos Education Center
We provided site/civil and geotechnical engineering design services for a new medical education building at Columbia University in Manhattan.
Project PartnersDiller Scofidio + Renfro & Gensler
OwnerColumbia University Medical Center
LocationNew York, New York
SustainabilityLEED Gold Certification
We provided site/civil and geotechnical engineering design services to Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Gensler for a new medical education building at Columbia University in Manhattan.
- As part of the design effort, Transportation coordinated approvals with the NYCDEP for sanitary and storm sewer connections, including a large detention system, and coordination with the NYCDOB was required for the Builder’s Pavement Plan.
- Transportation also provided geotechnical engineering oversight during the soil-boring program which confirmed the high rock profile for the area – a critical component during the design stage with regards to excavation and foundations.
- Due to site constraints and the proposed building location, the existing parking garage entrance that serves the neighboring high-rise housing for the Columbia University Medical Center has been demolished and relocated.
- The relocated tunnel entrance was designed using precast roof panels so that the garage could remain open during construction.
- As part of construction support services, Transportation has been working closely with the construction manager reviewing shop drawings and request for information (RFIs) submittals.
- Complications have risen during construction, but the design team has been able to come up with creative solutions in order to allow the contractor to stay on schedule.