The Thurgood Marshall US Courthouse was originally known as the Foley Square Courthouse because of its prominent location on Foley Square in Lower Manhattan. The building is designed by Cass Gilbert and his son, Cass Gilbert Junior, and is considered the symbol of the federal government’s presence in New York City.
We provided sustainability consulting services to Beyer Blinder Belle Architects for the award-winning renovation and restoration of this Classical Revival courthouse.
- Originally completed in 1936, the 611,000-square-foot building was completely renovated for code compliance and life-safety issues.
- The scope of work included exterior envelope restoration and improvements to the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, security, audiovisual and telecommunications systems.
- A new green roof on the sixth floor and other sustainable measures contribute to the project’s LEED Silver Certification.