At Thornton Tomasetti, we apply scientific and engineering principles to address some of the world’s most difficult challenges. The social responsibility challenges all of us currently face are among the most long-standing and difficult issues of our generation. The challenges are daunting: climate change, racial and social inequity, developing thriving communities, and providing a path for our present and future employees to grow. What comes next?
We are committed to doing our part to address these challenges, applying our ingenuity and drawing inspiration from our core purpose and values. At the core of our technical work, we apply solid and fluid mechanics to make our planet safer and more sustainable and resilient. We have many initiatives in place, some mature and some just getting off the ground. These include:
- Driving the sustainability of our operations and project designs to reduce our carbon footprint and embodied carbon
- Building healthy work environments
- Promoting inclusion and diversity
- Creating a welcoming environment where all employees can feel safe and achieve their full potential
- Developing our staff and our leadership
- Cultivating our Doing Good Business social impact initiative
Last year, we committed approximately 5 percent of our profits to these endeavors, and we plan to continue that trend.
We encourage everyone in our firm to get to know our corporate responsibility goals and initiatives. Get involved, challenge your leaders and support your colleagues as we continue to work toward significant change.
And we invite our industry partners – clients, other subcontractors, competitors, professional organizations and academics – to join together on this journey. We know that none of us can do this alone, but together we are strong enough to drive the kind of meaningful change that is necessary for our industry, our communities and our planet.
Michael Squarzini, Co-CEO
Peter DiMaggio, Co-CEO