R&D Magazine, Lab of the Year Award, 2018
AIA Chicago, Distinguished Building Award, 2017
Society of Facade Engineers, Top 10 Façade of 2017
Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture & Design, International Architecture Award, 2017
The “Only One” research and development headquarters consolidates in a single location CJ Corporation’s formerly distributed R&D efforts in pharmaceutical, biotechnology and food products businesses. Bringing 900 researchers together enables the company to develop a new, interdisciplinary format to enhance innovation and speed to market.
We provided façade peer review services for the 12-story, 1.2-million-square foot building that houses science laboratories, specialist product development laboratories, offices, data centers and employee amenity spaces. The Suwon, South Korea project, by CannonDesign and Heerim Architects & Planners, opened in 2015.
- During the final design phases, we provided comprehensive peer review services to the Korean executive architect to oversee the design of the specialty glazing systems, sunshades and glass atrium.
- We worked directly for the owner and its subsidiary general contractor, to review shop drawings, mock-up tests, and oversaw installation work onsite.
- The façade system for the energy-efficient complex includes a highly-specialized curtain wall with frameless insulated glazing at vision areas.
- A perforated, aluminum shading ribbon cantilevers from the curved steel structure and wraps around the perimeter, controlling solar heat gain while providing a comfortable interior for employees.
- A central atrium connects the three towers and feature a large gridshell-supported skylight.