One of the largest hangars in the world
Routinely ranked as one of the world’s best airlines, Qatar Airways needed a maintenance and repair facility to service a fleet that includes the Airbus A380, the world’s largest passenger airliner. As a result, the 1.6-million-square-foot aircraft maintenance hangar at Hamad International Airport is the airline’s central maintenance hub that accommodates 13 aircrafts, office and training space.
We provided structural design and peer review services to the design-build contractor ADCC Joint Venture and architect Ghafari Associates for the hangar, which was completed in 2011.
- The complex includes two hangars, one with a 600-foot span and the other with a 725-foot span.
- The facility fits eight wide-body and four narrow-body aircrafts, including two A380s.
- The structural layout and column spacing ensures flexible aircraft parking and maximum maintenance efficiency.
- The mezzanine levels allow direct access to the upper floors of the aircraft.
- Floor-mounted docks and overhead cranes provide safe access to the aircrafts during maintenance.