The sudden and progressive collapse of the Tropicana Casino and Resort parking garage on October 30, 2003 killed four construction workers and injured more than 20 others. The 10-story garage was under construction at the time.
We provided emergency response services, structural peer review, and continuous on-site consulting following the accident in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The investigation concluded in 2007.
- As with any collapse, our first priority was to assist in stabilizing the site to make it safe for first responders and for further investigation.
- Challenges we faced included preserving evidence during the demolition of the partially collapsed structure, and determining the cause and origin of the collapse.
- We used advanced modeling and materials testing to determine the cause of the collapse and reviewed documents and project correspondence to assign responsibility.
- Forensic and structural engineers from three of our offices remained on site round the clock, seven days a week, for the first phase of the work.
- We later assisted in ligation as an expert witness regarding the cause and origin of the collapse.