When complete, Ascent in Milwaukee’s East Town neighborhood will be the tallest timber structure in the world. The 493,000-square-foot, mixed-use building will contain 259 apartments, a pool on the sixth floor, and a top floor amenity level.
We are providing structural design services to Korb & Associates Architects for the building, which will open in 2022.
- The mass timber residential floors are constructed above five levels of concrete parking garage. A system of glue-laminated timber (glulam) beams and columns support cross-laminated timber (CLT) floors. Two concrete cores provide lateral stability.
- The design exposes the mass timber construction wherever possible to display its natural qualities. Fire testing proved that the timber structural members meet or exceed fire rating code requirements.
- An efficient system of post-tensioned concrete beams transfer loads from the timber residential floors to the concrete garage structure below.
- The superstructure is supported on concrete-filled steel pipe piles – the highest capacity piles yet built in Wisconsin. This system minimizes material quantities and reduces installation time, for substantial cost savings.
- The use of sustainable mass timber helps the building exceed Milwaukee’s energy conservation code requirements.