315 Park Avenue South, originally known as the Remington Rand Building when it opened in 1910, was repositioned to be a best-in-class commercial property. The exterior of the building, designed in the Beaux Arts Style by architect William C. Frohne, has been restored to its original glory.
We provided building envelope renewal, structural renewal and historic preservation services to Columbia Property Trust, which involved the replacement of the building’s original copper cornice.
- During the pre-construction investigation, our façade specialists found the original copper cornice was at the end of its expected service life.
- To meet historic preservation and performance criteria as well aesthetic goals, it was decided to replace the cornice in-kind with new copper.
- The cornice was fabricated in large sections, which allowed for a fast and efficient installation.
- The black iron armature that supported the original cornice was found to be in good condition and subsequently refurbished to support the new cornice.
- Our façade renewal scope also included restoration and cleaning of the brick, stone and terra cotta façades, as well as replacement of the non-original aluminum windows with new energy-efficient windows, which helped the building achieve Energy Star certification.
- We also provided structural design services for various tenant fit-out projects for its tech, media and investment tenants across multiple floors in the building.