A Mall Complex at the Heart of Al Maryrah Island
Abu Dhabi’s first one-stop retail-leisure-dining-entertainment complex is a massive 380,000 gross square-meter (4-million square foot) structure at the center of the Al Maryah Island development.
Collaborating with owner Gulf Related and architect Gensler, we are providing structural design, blast and façade engineering services through schematic design, detailed design, construction documentation and construction administration for the four-story mall with four below-grade parking levels.
- The project’s many challenges draws on our specialized expertise in structural and façade design, including structural steel for the atrium, skylights and cinemas, high-end analysis for bollards and protective design, and assistance with AASHTO requirements for the pedestrian bridges.
- Synergy and close coordination of our services was crucial to the successful integration of all structural components, including façade, pedestrian bridges, steel-to-concrete connections and protective design.
- The façade design contains a variety of typologies, from glazed shop fronts to solid stone, render and GRC façades.
- The primary design challenges are the sizable glazed skylights over the main mall and the main entrance façade, which is 30 meters high and realized with steel frame and toggle fixing of the glass.
- Main entrances are shaded by a canopy that cantilevers up to 11.5 meters and is clad with stainless steel / aluminum extrusions.