Climate change. Evolving socioeconomic issues. Town revitalization. Borderless disease outbreaks. Rising energy demand. It’s a rapidly changing world. Our resilient and sustainable master planning approach helps owners and other stakeholders envision how neighborhood transformation can energize local communities, strengthen the potential for future development, protect people and assets and adapt to the uncertainties of future climate change.
We collaborate with stakeholders to identify their goals and outline technical strategies to meet them. Then we gather site-specific data: collecting information on past weather events; assessing current codes, standards and guidelines; researching current and potential future hazards along with their likelihood and impacts; and take into account projected climate change. Next, we leverage innovative technology to build sitewide models – of climate resilience solutions and adaptive infrastructure, pedestrian flow and comfort, threat mitigation measures and much more – and use them to develop and refine the program. Finally, we craft a customized, results-driven plan and deliver a road map for implementation.
And after that? We work with you to bring the vision to reality, making updates or adjustments as needed over time and continuing on with design and construction. We’re with you for the whole journey.
There's No "One Size Fits All"
From blast analysis to bioclimatic design. From water reuse strategies to mobility planning. From emergency preparedness plans to zero-carbon roadmaps. We tailor our approach and our deliverables to each project.
We bring a diversity of disciplines to the table. The people who work on our resilient master-planning projects are subject-matter experts and active practitioners who contribute in-depth knowledge across a wide range of specialties. So we can build a team with the expertise that’s right for your project and priorities. And our technological tools – many developed in-house – provide powerful methods for gathering, organizing, analyzing and visualizing the enormous amounts of data needed to achieve the best results.
Adapting to Climate Change
Master plans offer the scope and breadth to dream of a better future. We identify strategies that minimize the potential adverse impacts of future climate change to people, assets, and area-wide disruption at a district scale with specific resilience goals in mind:
- Build in redundancy that safeguards critical infrastructure systems against climate hazards.
- Protect property to minimize damages and losses.
- Prevent interruptions to critical businesses and neighborhood facilities.
- Promote public safety during and after hazardous events.
- Enhance quality of life and climate justice by providing new public amenities and equitable access.
- Maximize co-benefits to promote the health of natural surroundings, biodiversity and public health.
Master planning maximizes long-term growth, sustainability and resilience. Our services include:
- Bioclimatic design
- Community resilience initiatives
- Hazard GIS mapping
- Land use planning
- Net Zero planning
- Performance-based building & infrastructure design
- Phasing strategies
- Regional climate risk assessments
- Regional emergency preparedness
- Regional flood protection
- Resilient mobility
- Smart City concepts
- Stormwater management & reuse strategies
- Waterfront revitalization planning