High seismic zone needs performance-based design
The 113-story Signature Tower will be built on lots six and seven of the Sudirman Central Business District (SCBD) in Jakarta. The 360,000-square-meter project has an observatory at the top level, 25 levels of hotel space, 70 levels of office space, a 10-story retail podium with a conference center, ballroom and restaurants, and six levels of basement parking. Upon completion, it will be the tallest building in Indonesia and one of the tallest in the world.
We are providing structural design services to Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates, Inc. for the 638-meter tower.
- The building is located within one of the most active seismic zones in the world.
- Classified as Seismic Design Category D, Signature Tower presents great challenges to engineers because of high seismic reactions and extremely soft soil conditions.
- The primary lateral system includes a composite core wall, composite super columns, steel outrigger trusses and steel belt trusses.
- The exterior mega frame includes nine steel belt trusses, six steel floor trusses and composite super columns.
- We used performance-based design to evaluate the building performance under different levels of seismic hazard to achieve an efficient and safe structure.